Hello everyone! Today I will be talking about my first grade 4 science unit, light!
- First, we studied about natural and artificial light! Let me share some fun facts:
- Natural light means light sources created by nature. Here are some examples:
Sun, stars, fireflies, and fire.
- Artificial light means light created by us. Here are some examples:
Lightbulb, glowstick, oil lantern, and candle.
After that, I tested my hypothesis that light travels in straight lines. here is my experiment:
Next we studied about luminous and non luminous. Here are some fun facts:
- Luminous means something makes its own light. Here are some examples:
Sun, stars, anglerfish, and fire.
- Non luminous means something doesn’t make its own light; it needs some help. Here are some examples:
Moon, certain street signs, reflective clothes, and cinema screens.
After that, we studied how light reflects. Here is my experiment:
We also learned about transparent, translucent, and opaque. Here are some things I learnt:
- Transparent means that a material is see through. here are some examples:
Glass, drinking water, and thin ice.
- Translucent means that a material allows you to see through, but the image is not clear. here are some examples:
tinted car window, thin jelly, and murky swamp water.
- Opaque means that it does not allow you to see through. Here are some examples:
brick wall, concrete pillar, lead pencil.
Finally, we learned about refraction. Light travels slower in water than air, so it refracts, or bends, the light. here is a picture of me working on this:
Reflection Of Learning
I love science so far! We have done so many different (and fun) science experiments! I would love to learn about EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!